We all rely on our computers to get through the day, whether we’re working from home or in the office. But when they start acting up, it can be frustrating and even costly to get them fixed.
That’s why we at FixIt Mobile, experienced computer repair technicians in the Salt Lake City area, wanted to give you some tips on how to prevent issues with your computer, how to troubleshoot problems you may have, and when you should call in a pc repair professional.
How to Prevent Issues With Your Computer
If you’re like most people, you rely on your computer for a variety of tasks. From keeping up with social media to managing your finances, our computers are an essential part of our lives. So when something goes wrong with our beloved machines, it can be a major inconvenience.
The best way to save money on computer repair is to prevent problems in the first place. Here are some tips to help you do that:
- Keep your software up to date: This includes your operating system, web browsers, apps, and plugins. Outdated software can be a major security risk. It can also lead to incompatibility issues and crashes.
- Use antivirus and anti-malware software: These programs can protect your computer from viruses, malware, and other online threats. They can also help prevent unwanted pop-ups and adware. Make sure to keep these programs up to date for the best protection.
- Don’t click on unknown links or attachments: If you don’t know where a link goes, don’t click on it. And if you don’t recognize an attachment, don’t open it. These could be phishing scams or other malicious attacks.
- Be careful about what you download: Only download files from sites you trust. Even then, scan all downloads with antivirus and anti-malware software before opening them.
- Avoid public Wi-Fi: Public Wi-Fi is not secure. If you must use it, make sure you have a VPN installed and turned on first.
Troubleshooting Common Computer Problems
There are some common computer problems that you may be able to solve yourself without having to call in a technician. Here are some tips for troubleshooting common issues:
- Slow internet: One of the most common complaints is slow internet speed. There are a few things you can do to try and fix this issue yourself before calling in a professional. First, restart your router or modem. This can often solve the problem. If that doesn’t work, try resetting your DNS settings. You can also try disabling firewall or antivirus software temporarily.
- Random shutdowns or restarts: This could be caused by a number of things such as overheating, bad software, driver issues, power supply problems, or hardware failures. Restarting your computer can often fix the problem.
- Frozen screen: A frozen screen is usually caused by an app that has stopped responding. To fix this, you can try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys at the same time. This will bring up the Task Manager. From here, you can end the non-responsive app. If this doesn’t work, then try restarting your computer. If the problem still persists, it’s time to call for laptop repair.
When Should I Call in a Computer Repair Technician?
There are some problems that are beyond the scope of what most people can fix themselves. If you have tried the troubleshooting solutions listed above, and none have worked for you, it’s time to call in for professional pc repair.
Other examples of when you should call in a computer technician include:
If your computer won’t start up at all
This is because the problem may be with the motherboard or another vital component, and attempting to fix it yourself could do more harm than good.
If you spilled something on your laptop or keyboard
While it may seem like a simple problem, the spill can actually cause a lot of damage to your computer. The liquids can seep into the circuitry and cause a short circuit, which can fry the components of your computer. In addition, the spill can damage the keyboard, making it difficult or impossible to type. As a result, it’s important to have a computer repair pro take a look.
If there is physical damage to your computer
The sooner the problem is diagnosed and repaired, the less likely it is that further damage will occur. Physical damage can often lead to data loss or corruption, which can be difficult and expensive to recover from.
In addition, physical damage can also cause hardware failures, which can be both costly and time-consuming to repair. By calling in a computer technician at the first sign of trouble, you can help to ensure that your computer remains in good working order.
If you suspect malware or viruses
If you’re dealing with a virus or other form of malware, it’s best to leave the removal process to someone who knows what they’re doing. Trying to remove malware yourself can sometimes result in deleting important files or making other changes that can cause serious problems.
The next time your computer starts acting up, hopefully, you will be able to troubleshoot and fix the problem yourself without having to call in a pc repair professional (and spending money!). But if the problem persists or is something beyond your skill level, then don’t hesitate to call us at FixIt Mobile, so we can take care of it for you!